Pages

Monday, December 20, 2010

Auckland

Auckland is New Zealand's attempt at "the big metropolitan type city".  They've manged to pull it off quite well, I think!  With one third of the population of the country, skyscrapers, a vibrant city centre, and even a mini CN tower, it kinda *does* feel like a real city.  Which is not meant to be a snub at the other cities I've visited here at all - I quite enjoyed their 'small town' feel.  Apparently Auckland is also the city with the largest Polynesian population in the world..  but you could have fooled me - I only saw 6.  Judging by the ethnic makeup of downtown you'd really think that the city was 40% east Asian, 20% east Indian, 5% German, and the rest non-German Caucasian.

I arrived here yesterday afternoon, checked into my hostel..  which according to Lonely Planet was supposed to be "downtown Auckland's best hostel", but which quite clearly wasn't..  and went on a small tour of downtown and the surrounding areas.  I visited the University of Auckland and the adjacent Albert Park, St. Patrick Church, which was quite boring (damn you again, Lonely Planet!), dined on the trendy Vulcan Lane (Hooray for $13 beers), and eventually went up the Sky Tower.


At 328m it is the southern hemisphere's tallest structure...  but..  it really does not seem that high up on that observation deck.  Maybe I'm just spoiled by the CN tower...  which to be fair I've only been up once.  The one cool thing about the SkyTower is that you can jump off it!  They strap you to some safe-looking contraption and off you go..  Those crazy Kiwis will jump off just about anything, it seems.

Afterwards I went to the big movie theatre downtown and watched the worst movie of 2010 - Skyline.  I have no idea if this piece of crap made it to the theatres in Canada, but if it did..  DO NOT see it.  Trust me.  It is bad.

Today it was actually quite nice out (cloudy and rainy yesterday, like it's been for the last week or so), so I went on a bit of a longer walking tour of a city.  Lonely Planet advertised a "coast to coast" walk you could do, which took you by some of the things I've already seen, but also several of the extinct volcanoes..  so off I went.  I started off at the wharf, where I had a giant burrito for brunch..  Seriously, that thing was HUGE.

I walked over to a park known simply as "The Domain".  I'm not quite sure who'd domain it is, but I did not stick around long enough to find out.  It was pretty, but...  The Auckland Museum was nearby!  I'm not really big on museums, but this was apparently "must see", so I checked it out..  and ended up spending over 2 hours there!  There were 3 interesting floors, the first one being devoted to Maori & Polynesian culture, second one to flora, fauna, etc., and the third to wars that New Zealand has been involved in (ww1, ww2, boer, various nz wars, vietnam, etc.).  It was all very interesting!..  but next thing I knew it was 5pm and I realized that I probably wouldn't make it to the other coast (Auckland straddles an istmus)

Next on the walk was Eden park and Mount Eden, an extinct volcano.  I climbed that bitch and was rewarded with nice views of the city!  The volcano crater was quite clearly visible, but inaccessible..  due to its 'sacred' status (to the Maori).  It was all quite cool though - I took a lot of pictures.  After my descent I dined at a placed named CAC.  which amused me for maybe 25 seconds..  They served me an adequate steak..  maybe a bit too small.

So tomorrow I depart!..  My flight is at 7pm..  I'm checking out of the hostel at 10am and killing some time downtown..  (beers?  lunch?  souvenirs?), then catching a bus to the airport..  then waiting..  then flying!  I arrive in London Thursday at 6:30am or so.  Please don't bug me until at least Saturday, as I will be sleeping..  and attempting to celebrate Christmas on Friday.

It's been an incredible journey through New Zealand though, I've quite enjoyed it!  And to those who have actually read my rants - thanks!  It's much appreciated..  I hope all of you received postcards ;)

3 comments:

  1. Tom... all your talk of knee issues troubles me. If you need a good physio when you come home, let me know. ;)

    Also, if you and I were facing one another, like in a mirror, then our aching knees would be on the same side! They would be one and the same! Yeah, ponder on that one!!!

    Bon voyageeee!

    Btw, Elisa's totally jealous that I asked you to come out for beers before I asked her! Haha... screw you, Elisa... I know you're reading this!!!

    ;p

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elisa is German, and as such of no present concern to me

    ReplyDelete