Pages

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Goodbye to the South Island

Unfortunately all good things must come to an end.  Ahead awaits the north island, which, judging by what I have been told by south island locals, really stinks. 

I spent my second last day on the south island in Abel Tasman National Park, where I had kayaked just a day before.  I really wanted to walk on the Abel Tasman Coastal Track, which is one of New Zealand's 9 great walks.  It usually takes a couple days, but an aqua taxi can take you to anywhere on the track..  so I booked one!  I walked from Bark Bay to Anchorage Bay, the most popular stretch on the track.  It was a pretty enjoyable walk.. 12km, took just over 3 hours..  It takes you uphill quite a bit, which my left knee did not enjoy at all..  but you get some really nice beach shots from above.  All in all it was nothing compared to the Milford or the Routeburn, but it was pretty cool in its own way.

The next morning I was off on a bus to Picton, which is where I caught a ferry to Wellington.  The ferry was HUGE - very likely the largest boat I have ever been on.  The ride takes you through the Marlborough Sounds, which were advertised to me as 'amazing' and 'spectacular'..  which they kind of were, but it was quite cloudy, so I did not spend too much time on the observation deck above.  I went down to the bar and discovered that their pints were quite cheap!  The cheapest I have ever had the pleasure to consume anywhere in New Zealand so far!  Obviously this is where I spent the rest of the 4 hour long trip.  Along the way I met some friends..  2 Aussies and a German who were discussing the tv show The Wire, so I obviously had to chime in with my own views..  and observations..  and other such things.  By the way, if you haven't seen The Wire yet, you really should.

Wellington was really cloudy and slightly rainy.  I took the cable car up to the Botanic Gardens, which were nifty, took a peek at the 'Beehive' (The NZ parliment - building looks like a beehive), checked out the hip Cuba Street, walked around downtown a bit, saw this and that, returned to my hostel, and booked a train ride to the National Park (I'm pretty sure this park has a longer name, but everyone just calls it National Park) where I would do the Tongariro crossing.  Exhausted, I crashed early.

So that's it for the south island..  I'll miss it!  I've now spent a couple days on the north, and it's pretty cool in itself..  but the south has been far superior..  so far

2 comments:

  1. The one ring to rule them all...

    It began with the forging of the Great Rings. Three were given to the Elves; immortal, wisest and fairest of all beings. Seven, to the Dwarf Lords, great miners and craftsmen of the mountain halls. And nine, nine rings were gifted to the race of Men, who above all else desire power. For within these rings was bound the strength and the will to govern over each race. But they were all of them deceived, for a new ring was made. In the land of Mordor, in the fires of Mount Doom, the Dark Lord Sauron forged in secret, a master ring, to control all others. And into this ring he poured all his cruelty, his malice and his will to dominate all life. One ring to rule them all.

    You be careful on your mission to Mount Doom, Tom! Your courage in embarking on this glorious quest will not be forgotten, but you be safe up there. Watch out for nazguls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. mission complete, wedding ring GONE

    ReplyDelete