Pages

Saturday, December 18, 2010

Rain rain rain

I'm sitting here in Rotorua and it's raining..  It's also raining in Taupo, Auckland, Wellington, Christchurch, and Queenstown..  It's pretty much raining EVERYWHERE.  Apparently there's some sort of a battle going on between low and high pressure systems and it's being waged all over the country..  This has been going on for about a week now and it's been getting worse and worse.. at least from my point of view.  The Tongariro Crossing was closed the day after I walked it and I wouldn't be surprised if it's been closed since.  My skydiving bookings have all been cancelled, both in Taupo and here in Rotorua..  I booked some white water rafting for today, but that got cancelled too..

You know what though?  I'm a bit vacationed out!  I know I will regret saying this later, but I am pretty much ready to fly home.  Tomorrow a bus takes me to Auckland, where I'll have two and a half days to kill before my flight back home.  This time is probably going to be spent exploring and very likely drinking - if the weather forecast is to be believed.

You know what else I have been doing while it's been raining?  Eating!  I have been really impressed with the food here in New Zealand..  It seems that no matter where you go or what kind of restaurant you go to the food is very tasty..  Now, at first, that was probably a case of me just really enjoying regular food after walking 85km through Fiordland National Park with 17kg strapped to my back..  But afterwards I realized that the people here really do put a lot of soul into everything they do..  Oh, and love!  The food is also infused with love.

I've tried local classics (Kiwi breakfast, Burger with fried egg & sweet beet, Fish and Chips, Hokey Pokey ice cream, etc.) as well as various other random restaurants (Turkish, Thai, Indian, German, whatever), and it's all been really really good.  I think I've only been slightly disappointed once and that's only after my standards were raised to unexpectantly high levels by previously awesome gastronomical creations.

I've been told that the food here is expensive, but that hasn't exactly been my experience..  Sure, it SEEMS expensive...  and yeah, certain things ARE more expensive, but overall I would have to disagree.  I have been eating VERY well and I rarely spend more than $35 for dinner.  Now, when I put it like that, you might say "Hey, that's a bit pricy!".  You've got to remember though that $35 in NZ dollars is about $26 in Canadian funds.

The most expensive meal so far was a porterhouse steak I had in Kaikoura.  The meal included an appetizer and one or two beers. The bill came to $52.  That might not seem cheap, but: 1. Taxes here are included in the price (on the menu and on the bill), 2. $52 nz = $39 cdn, 3. Waiters and waitresses get paid well here, so you don't have to pay their wages with tips - the restaurant does that by paying them a fair wage.  You can tip if you want, but it is generally not done..  You will also usually pay for your meal before being served anyway..  Either way, nobody tips, it's not done, etc.

So while you might be put off by some of the prices you see on the menu ($25 for a main??), it is really not that bad..  and in a lot of cases in the end comes out cheaper than what you would have paid in Canada..  AND the food, like I said, is for some reason always really really good.

So yes, when it rains, you drink, eat, and..  read!  I went shopping for a new book to read after finishing the somewhat entertaining "Winds of Dune" and stumbled upon "The Algebraist" by one Iain M. Banks.  Turns out it's quite the page turner!  Banks is a British author, which is maybe why I haven't been exposed to him before, but I've gotta say..  the man is a literary GENIUS!  I am loving the book and very glad I picked it up..

Now though I must depart to make my way through the rain to a yet undiscovered pub in hopes of being served a pint of fresh cold New Zealand lager.  Wish me luck!

1 comment: