Pages

Saturday, December 4, 2010

More on the Milford Track

So I'm here in Queenstown, resting after my 9 day excursion to Fiordland National Park, sitting in a really cheap internet cafe (with great equipment though), so I thought I'd include some maps of The Milford Track before I start writing about the Routeburn Track..  I don't mind re-visiting it at all, cause it's still fresh in my mind..  and probably will be for quite some time!  It is also interesting to compare both tracks (Milford & Routeburn)


This map is for the guided walks, so the huts they highlight are NOT the ones I stayed at.  Look for the triangles to find the huts I stayed at (Clinton, Mintaro, and Dumpling).  Mintaro and Dumpling might seem really close together, but looks are deceiving - there was an alpine crossing in between (elevation - 1075m or so).  The Mitre Peak Lodge was the fancy place the guided walkers stayed at after the Track was complete - I stayed at the excellent Milford Sound Lodge (it really was that great, I can't stop raving about it)

I will post an elevation map of both tracks in the next post to really illustrate how different they were.

Oh, and where it says 'Milford Sound' on the map, that should be coloured in blue.  That jagged blue line going from Sandfly point to 'Mitre Peak Lodge' is the boat we took to Milford Sound after the Track was complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment